At the State of the City Breakfast, Santa Barbara Mayor Helene Schneider said she, along with other mayors from around the country, signed the below civility accord and pledged her commitment to the following principles:
- Respect the right of all Americans to hold different opinions.
- Avoid rhetoric intended to humiliate, de-legitimatize or question the patriotism of those whose opinions are different from ours.
- Strive to understand differing perspectives.
- Choose words carefully.
- Speak truthfully without accusation, and avoid distortion.
- Speak out against violence, prejudice and incivility in all of their forms, whenever and wherever they occur.